Tuesday, November 18, 2008

MGM ACCESS Lab Visit

ACCESS Visit
I loved visiting the ACCESS Lab at Mary G. Montgomery High School. I think that all future teachers should take time out and learn what it is all about. It is a very new program but it rapidly growing and moving in to all the local schools.
The lab at MGM is set up like a regular classroom with cameras, microphones, and computers. the instructor can have his class up on the web and also up to three others at one time that can see his lesson. This instructor I visited with had a class physically sitting in front of him and also a class that could see him that was not actually at the school. He believes this is a great new program that can really help students. He mostly deals with honors and AP students that can take more upper level courses from him on ACCESS. One of the other instructors I got to meet was a science teacher that had a link to teachertube.com on her page. This gives students a visual aid and extra practice. They said that not many ACCESS teachers have this for the students but it is a very good tool.
The instructor I visited with also believes that ACCESS has some problems. It is so new that it still needs some tweaks to make it better to use. Since everyone is backing this program it should not be a problem to get input from the teachers and help it get better. All new things have to be modified.
I really was impressed with ACCESS and wanted to one day become an instructor. I am striving to be an English teacher and they said that there is really no need for English teachers on ACCESS because it is really for classes that students cannot get in an everyday school. They told me if i specialize in one part, like mythology, then there might be more of a possibility.
I saw from the lab that there needs to be improvement but I am still very impressed with what has been done for students through ACCESS!

No comments: