Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The Fischbowl Response

Karl Fisch's question, 'Is it okay to be technologically illiterate?' brings up alot of thoughts for me. I feel so behind. I am a junior in college and have never done a powerpoint and have little computer use on a daily basis. I know, as a teacher, I must prepare my students for their careers, but am I prepared to do that? I think the answer is no for right now. I am beginning to understand I should take extra classes and work at home to improve my computer literacy.
Another huge thing that I think of that is not being mentioined my Fisch is what technology is provided in schools? I have been a substitute teacher at two schools and cannot believe how old the technology is compared to what the students probably have available to them at home. The computers take forever to start up, they crash during classes, they are loaded with viruses, and limit the students and teachers to what they can learn. I was learning from the Mavis Beacon Typing Program when I was in elementary school and the school I taught in was using it just as much, eight years later! It is important to get better technology in the schools so they can learn more and it won't take the whole class just to get the computers to work.

No comments: